MCG TeleCare service prevents disaster
Rainham resident Ada Compton and her daughter Kenneen Russell praised the swift reaction of MCG staff after the gas on her cooker was inadvertently left on for over an hour.
Mrs Compton, who is 90 years old, couldnâ€™t smell the gas because she has lost her sense of smell – but she had been having some problems with her phone on the day in question, and this prompted Mrs Compton to push the button on the pendant she wears on her wrist, which is connected to the TeleCare unit in her home.
MCG staff were immediately alerted to a potential issue, and after calling Mrs Comptonâ€™s daughter, sent engineer Allen Murrell to her property to investigate.
As soon as Allen walked into Mrs Comptonâ€™s house, he could smell the gas: â€œThere was so much gas my throat was dryâ€, Allen explained. â€œIt was horrible. I quickly turned off the gas and opened all the windows.â€
Mrs Compton was sitting in her favourite chair when Allen arrived. She felt fine and didnâ€™t realise anything was wrong. â€œItâ€™s a good job I had the TeleCare unit in my homeâ€, said Mrs Compton. â€œIt probably saved my life! Having a TeleCare personal alarm makes me feel safe.â€
Mrs Comptonâ€™s daughter, Kenneen Russell, who lives in Wigmore, said: â€œMy mother and I were both a bit shaken up but it couldâ€™ve been a lot worse. The staff at MCG were brilliant. The person who answered the initial TeleCare alert was very nice, and Allen was at my mumâ€™s house a few minutes after the alarm had been raised.â€
Vikram Sahdev, CEO of MCG, said: â€œThis incident demonstrates how important our TeleCare units are for many older people. Iâ€™m also very proud of the caring professionalism shown by MCG staff in preventing what could have been a terrible disaster.â€